How to convert a foreign driving license to a Cypriot Driving License
A person who temporarily visits the Republic of Cyprus for a period not exceeding 30 days and holds a valid driver's license, is entitled to drive in the Republic during their stay, provided that the driver's license issued in a foreign country remains valid.
Holders of an international driving license are allowed to drive during their stay in Cyprus provided that the international driving license is valid.
If a person plans to stay in Cyprus for more than six months, depending on the issuing country of driving license, they have the following options:
1. Holders of a driving license from an EU member state
2. Holders of a driving license of non-EU member state with a reciprocal exchange agreement between Cyprus and the issuing country
3. Holders of a driving license of a foreign country which has not a reciprocal exchange agreement with Cyprus
1. Holders of a driving license from an EU member state
The conversion of a driver's license from a foreign to a Cypriot one is done when the Driver's License comes from a country where its Driver's License is recognized as equivalent to the Cypriot one (see list of 21 countries below) or from a country of the European Union.
Drivers with a driving license from an EU country can voluntarily exchange their driving license to a Cypriot one following six months of residency in Cyprus. In case that an EU driving license held by a resident of Cyprus expires, is lost or stolen, it must be replaced in Cyprus.
You must meet the conditions for obtaining a driver's license to issue a Cypriot Driving License (e.g., you have reached the minimum age of 18 years old, your health condition allows driving, etc). Before the authorities replace your driving license, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving license is not restricted, suspended, or revoked.
1. The holder of a driver's license or learner's license issued by a competent authority of a member state of the European Union is subject to the laws and regulations that apply to holders of a driver's license or learner's license issued by the competent authority of the Republic of Cyprus, during the time he/she drives a motor vehicle in the Republic.
2. Any person is allowed to hold at any given time only one driver's license or learner's driver's license that is valid and has been issued by a member state of the European Union.
2. Foreign Driving Licenses recognized as equivalent to Cypriot Driving License based on a reciprocal exchange agreement between Cyprus and the issuing country
Based on the “The Driving License Law of 2001 and its amendments” (Article 20, Amended 06 April 2020), the following driving licenses are considered as equal to the Cypriot Driving License, therefore, are valid in Cyprus without the requirement to have an International Driving License:
List of 21 countries of which Driving License is valid in Cyprus:
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Holders of driver's licenses from the countries above are obliged to exchange their driver's license after a six-month stay in the Republic of Cyprus.
As the driving licenses of the 21 countries above are considered as equal to the Cypriot Driving License, holders do not need to take driving lessons again or pass theoretical and practical tests to exchange their driving license to a Cypriot one.
Procedure for the conversion of a foreign driving license (EU or recognized as equal driving license) to a Cypriot Driving License:
The procedure to convert a foreign driving license (EU or recognized as equal driving license – list of 21 countries) to a Cypriot Driving License is outlined in steps below:
1. Complete the application for driving license (ΤΟΜ 7Δ)
2. Provide a recent photo 45x33mm
3. Provide a Cypriot ID or Residence Permit (Original and one copy)
4. Provide a Passport (Original and one copy of the main page)
5. Provide the Foreign driving license (original and one copy of all pages). The original driving license will be returned to the issuing country.
6. Provide a translation of the Foreign Driving License (only if it’s in a language other than Greek or English). Translation should be performed by approved translators (see https://www.pio.gov.cy/en/translations/)
7. Provide proof of at least six months of residence in Cyprus (such as utility bill, bank account, rental agreement)
8. Present all the documents in person*. There is an application fee of 40 EUR for persons up to 65 years old. There is no fee for persons above 65 years of age.
*For the issuance/copy of a Driver's License, interested parties should contact the local authorities provincial offices of the Road Transport Department of Nicosia (TOM), Limassol, Larnaca, Famagusta and Paphos or all Citizen Service Centers (CSCs) and KE.POs of the Department of Postal Services (see https://www.cypruspost.post/en/kentro-politi).
1. Cypriot Driving License is issued for a period of fifteen years for categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, B1 and BE. After the date the applicant turns 55 years of age, the driver's license is issued for a period until the applicant reaches the age of seventy (70).
2. The renewal of a standard driving license for people aged 70 and over is valid for three years.
3. Holders of a driving license of a foreign country which doesn’t have a reciprocal exchange agreement with Cyprus
Holders of a driving license which is not issued from an EU member state or not recognized as equivalent of the Cypriot Driving License (see List of 21 countries) must start the procedure for issuance of a driving license as a new driver in Cyprus and undergo practical and theoretical examination.
The allowed period to drive in the Republic of Cyprus with a foreign driving license depends on the issuing country. It’s advised to contact the Department of Transport or corresponding Embassy/Consulate in Cyprus. Only people who have been residents in Cyprus for at least six months may apply for a Cyprus driving license.
Driving license conditions
A driving license for a category or special category of motor vehicle is granted to an applicant who:
(a) has habitual residence in the Republic or proves that is attending a higher education institution for a period of at least six months.
(b) has passed a theoretical and practical examination on the subjects specified in article 23 of the law.
(c) has the minimum physical and mental abilities, as certified in accordance with the provisions of article 33 of the law.
(d) does not hold another valid driver's license issued by a member state of the European Union.
(e) pays the fees specified in Appendix C of the law. There is an application fee of 40 EUR for persons up to 65 years old. There is no fee for persons above 65 years of age.
(f) has completed the required minimum age for the driver's license applied for, in accordance with the provisions of article 6 of the law.
To learn more on how to issue a Cypriot Driving License you can contact:
DEPARTMENT OF ROAD TRANSPORT Vasileos Pavlou 27, 2412 Egkomi Tel: +35722807000 Fax: +35722354030 email: email@example.com
HJS Insurance provides insurance coverage to holders of EU driving license, non – EU driving license of a country which has a reciprocal exchange agreement with Cyprus and other countries including UK, USA, China, Russia, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, Iran.
You can request an insurance quote from us here: www.hjsinsurance.com.cy/contact
HJS Insurance Agents & Consultants
The Driving License Law of 2001 - 94(I)/2001
DEPARTMENT OF ROAD TRANSPORT